A Prospective, Single-blind, Randomized, Phase III Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of Fibrin Sealant Grifols (FS Grifols) as an Adjunct to Hemostasis During Parenchymous Tissue Open Surgeries
DescriptionThe trial consisted of 2 parts: a Preliminary Part (I) and a Primary Part (II). All subjects enrolled in Preliminary Part (I) were treated with FS Grifols. Subjects in Primary Part (II) were randomly allocated in a 2:1 ratio to treatment with FS Grifols or manual compression. The objectives of the study were to evaluate the hemostasis effectiveness of FS Grifols in peripheral vascular surgery and to assess clinical safety, viral safety, and immunogenicity.
PhasePhase 3 - a treatment has shown activity against a particular disease, where it is either added to existing treatment or compared to the standard treatment.
Inclusion and Exclusion Criteria
- - Are male or female - Must be at least 3 years of age with no upper age limit (must be at least 18 years of age in Spain and United Kingdom) - Require an elective (non-emergency), open (non-laparoscopic; non-endovascular) peripheral vascular surgical procedure - Have hemoglobin ≥ 9.0 g/dL - Have platelet count > 70 x 10^3/mm^3 - Required one peripheral vascular procedure involving either an arterial patch angioplasty or an arterial anastomosis utilizing polytetrafluoroethylene or Dacron grafts, according to the Investigator's (the surgeon's) selection:
- Carotid endarterectomy requiring patch angioplasty
- Carotid-subclavian bypass grafting
- Axillo-femoral bypass grafting
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm resection and graft replacement
- Aorto-mesenteric bypass grafting
- Aorto-celiac bypass grafting
- Aorto-uni-iliac bypass grafting
- Aorto-bi-iliac bypass grafting
- Aorto-uni-femoral bypass grafting
- Aorto-bi-femoral bypass grafting
- Iliac aneurysm resection and graft replacement
- Femoral aneurysm resection and graft replacement
- Femoral-femoral bypass grafting
- Femoral-popliteal bypass grafting
- Renal arterial revascularization (bypass grafting)
- Renal arterial revascularization (endarterectomy with patch angioplasty)
- Popliteal artery revascularization (bypass grafting)
- Popliteal artery revascularization (endarterectomy with patch angioplasty)
- Femoral endarterectomy with patch angioplasty
- Ilio-femoral bypass grafting - Intra-operative inclusion criterion: - A Target bleeding site (TBS)can be identified according to the Investigator's judgment, and the TBS has a mild or moderate arterial bleeding according to the Investigator's judgment
- Weighed < 20 kg
- Have a pre-operative (at Baseline Assessments) international normalized ratio ≥ 2.0
- Have a pre-operative (at Baseline Assessments) activated partial thromboplastin time ratio ≥ 1.5
- Have a pre-operative (at Baseline Assessments) serum creatinine > 2 times the upper limit of the normal range
- Were undergoing a re-operative procedure on same arterial patch angioplasty or arterial anastomosis
- Have an infection in the anatomical surgical area
- Have a history of severe (e.g., anaphylactic) reactions to blood or any blood derived product
- Unwilling to receive blood products
- Have positive bleeding history
- Female who was pregnant or nursing
- Are known to abuse alcohol, opiates, psychotropic agents or other chemicals or drugs, or have done so within 12 months to the screening visit.
- Are currently participating in another investigational drug or device clinical study, or have participated within 3 months to the screening visit.
- Were previously included in this clinical trial (protocol number IG402)
Please contact Valentina Rodina to learn more about where you can participate in this trial. Please use the contact form on the right side.