An Open-Labeled, Multicenter Phase II Study of Cabazitaxel in Refractory Metastatic Gastric or Gastroesophageal Adenocarcinoma
PhasePhase 2 - takes the treatment one step further, assessing the activity of a particular therapy in a disease, often building upon leads from the Phase I trial. While patients are generally required to be previously untreated, participation in a Phase II trial doesn't usually preclude the patient from getting the standard treatment after they've received the investigational agent. At best they are allowed to get a new drug they wouldn't be able to get otherwise that may turn out to be better for their disease.
Inclusion and Exclusion Criteria
- Subject must have histologically or cytologically confirmed gastric, or gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma, or distal esophageal adenocarcinoma.
- Subject must have unresectable or metastatic gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma.
- Subject must have evaluable disease as per RECIST criteria.
- Subject must have had at least one prior cytotoxic chemotherapy regimen for unresectable or metastatic disease. Prior taxane therapy is allowed.
- Age >/=18 years old.
- ECOG performance status status >/= 2
- Subject must have normal organ and marrow function as defined below: - WBC >/= 3,000/uL - Total Bilirubin ≤ 1.5 x upper limits of normal - AST (SGOT) ≤ 2.5 x upper limits of normal - ALT (SGPT) ≤ 2.5 x upper limits of normal - Hgb > 7.5 g/dl (without transfusion within 7 days) - ANC > 1000 /ml - Plt > 75 K/ml (without transfusion) - Creatinine* < 2.0 g/dl *or a calculated creatinine clearance > 45/cc (using Cockroft-Gault formula)
- Women of child-bearing potential and men must agree to use adequate contraception (hormonal or barrier method of birth control; abstinence) prior to study entry and for the
- Ability to understand and the willingness to sign a written informed consent document.
- Subject with previously untreated unresectable or metastatic gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma.
- Subject with more than 2 prior cytotoxic therapies (not including treatment administered for locally curable disease) for unresectable or metastatic gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma.
- Subject with CNS metastases with active neurologic dysfunction. These patients are excluded because of their poor prognosis and because they often develop progressive neurologic dysfunction that would confound the evaluation of neurologic and other adverse event.
- Significant medical co-morbidity that would preclude safe administration of cytotoxic therapy, including but not limited to: a.Cardiac disease i. Unstable angina ii. Myocardial infarction < 3 months prior to study initiation b. Ongoing serious infection i. Bacteremia or sepsis requiring intravenous antibiotics ii. HIV with AIDS defining illness c.Inadequate oral nutritional intake i. Requirement for daily intravenous fluids or total parenteral nutrition. d. Psychiatric illness/social situations that would limit compliance with study requirement
- Subject who has had chemotherapy or radiotherapy within 4 weeks (6 weeks for nitrosoureas or mitomycin C) prior to entering the study or those who have not recovered from prior treatment related toxicity with persistent symptoms >/= grade 2 due to agents administered more than 4 weeks earlier.
- Subject may not receive another investigational agent.
- History of allergic reactions attributed to compounds of similar chemical or biologic composition to Cabazitaxel, or to drugs formulated with polysorbate 80.
- Pregnant (positive pregnancy test) and lactating women are excluded from the study because the risks to an unborn fetus or potential risks in nursing infants are unknown.
Please contact Poornima Murali to learn more about where you can participate in this trial. Please use the contact form on the right side.