A Phase 3, Randomized, Double-Blind Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of Elvitegravir/Cobicistat/Emtricitabine/Tenofovir Alafenamide Versus Elvitegravir/Cobicistat/Emtricitabine/Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate in HIV-1 Positive, Antiretroviral Treatment-Naïve Adults
DescriptionThis study will evaluate the efficacy and safety of elvitegravir/cobicistat/emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide (Genvoya®; E/C/F/TAF) fixed-dose combination (FDC) versus elvitegravir/cobicistat/emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (Stribild®; E/C/F/TDF) in HIV-1 positive, antiretroviral treatment-naive adults.
PhasePhase 3 - a treatment has shown activity against a particular disease, where it is either added to existing treatment or compared to the standard treatment.
Inclusion and Exclusion Criteria
- Ability to understand and sign a written informed consent form, which must be obtained prior to initiation of study procedures
- Plasma HIV-1 RNA levels ≥ 1,000 copies/mL at screening
- No prior use of any approved or investigational antiretroviral drug for any length of time, except the use for pre-exposure prophylaxis (PREP), or post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) up to 6 months prior to screening
- Screening genotype report must show sensitivity to elvitegravir, emtricitabine, tenofovir DF
- Normal electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) ≥ 50 mL/min according to the Cockcroft-Gault formula for creatinine clearance
- Hepatic transaminases (AST and ALT) ≤ 5 × upper limit of normal (ULN)
- Total bilirubin ≤ 1.5 mg/dL, or normal direct bilirubin
- Adequate hematologic function
- Serum amylase ≤ 5 × ULN
- Males and females of childbearing potential must agree to utilize highly effective contraception methods or be non-heterosexually active or practice sexual abstinence from screening throughout the duration of study treatment and for 30 days following the last dose of study drug
- Females who utilize hormonal contraceptive as one of their birth control methods must have used the same method for at least three months prior to study dosing
- Females who have stopped menstruating for ≥ 12 months but do not have documentation of ovarian hormonal failure must have a serum follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) level at screening within the post-menopausal range based on the Central Laboratory reference range
- Age ≥ 18 years Key
- A new AIDS-defining condition diagnosed within the 30 days prior to screening
- Hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) positive
- Hepatitis C antibody positive
- Individuals experiencing decompensated cirrhosis
- Females who are breastfeeding
- Positive serum pregnancy test
- Have an implanted defibrillator or pacemaker
- Current alcohol or substance use judged by the Investigator to potentially interfere with study compliance
- History of malignancy within the past 5 years or ongoing malignancy other than cutaneous Kaposi's sarcoma, basal cell carcinoma, or resected, noninvasive cutaneous squamous carcinoma
- Active, serious infections (other than HIV-1 infection) requiring parenteral antibiotic or antifungal therapy within 30 days prior to baseline
- Any other clinical condition or prior therapy that, in the opinion of the Investigator, would make the individual unsuitable for the study or unable to comply with dosing requirements
- Participation in any other clinical trial (including observational trials) without prior approval
- Receiving ongoing therapy with drugs not to be used with elvitegravir, cobicistat, emtricitabine, tenofovir DF, and TAF or participants with any known allergies to the excipients of E/C/F/TDF or E/C/F/TAF Note: Other protocol defined Inclusion/Exclusion criteria may apply.
Please contact the trial administrator to learn more about where you can participate in this trial. Please use the contact form on the right side.