A Phase 3 Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Aducanumab (BIIB037) in Subjects With Early Alzheimer's Disease
DescriptionThe primary objective of the study is to evaluate the efficacy of monthly doses of aducanumab in slowing cognitive and functional impairment as measured by changes in the Clinical Dementia Rating-Sum of Boxes (CDR-SB) score as compared with placebo in participants with early AD. Secondary objectives are to assess the effect of monthly doses of aducanumab as compared with placebo on clinical progression as measured by Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE), AD Assessment Scale-Cognitive Subscale (13 items) [ADAS-Cog 13], and AD Cooperative Study-Activities of Daily Living Inventory (Mild Cognitive Impairment version) [ADCS-ADL-MCI].
PhasePhase 3 - a treatment has shown activity against a particular disease, where it is either added to existing treatment or compared to the standard treatment.
Inclusion and Exclusion Criteria
- Must meet all of the following clinical criteria for MCI due to AD or mild AD and must have:
- A Clinical Dementia Rating (CDR)-Global Score of 0.5.
- Objective evidence of cognitive impairment at screening
- An MMSE score between 24 and 30 (inclusive)
- Must have a positive amyloid Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scan
- Must consent to apolipoprotein E (ApoE) genotyping
- If using drugs to treat symptoms related to AD, doses must be stable for at least 8 weeks prior to screening visit 1
- Must have a reliable informant or caregiver Key
- Any medical or neurological condition (other than Alzheimer's Disease) that might be a contributing cause of the subject's cognitive impairment
- Have had a stroke or Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) or unexplained loss of consciousness in the past 1 year
- Clinically significant unstable psychiatric illness in past 6 months
- History of unstable angina, myocardial infarction, advanced chronic heart failure, or clinically significant conduction abnormalities within 1 year prior to Screening
- Indication of impaired renal or liver function
- Have human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection
- Have a significant systematic illness or infection in past 30 days
- Relevant brain hemorrhage, bleeding disorder and cerebrovascular abnormalities
- Any contraindications to brain magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or PET scans
- Alcohol or substance abuse in past 1 year
- Taking blood thinners (except for aspirin at a prophylactic dose or less) NOTE: Other protocol defined Inclusion/Exclusion criteria may apply
Please contact the trial administrator to learn more about where you can participate in this trial. Please use the contact form on the right side.